12 September 2011

Smash and Grab

busted window iphone


I was afraid of something like this.

Yeah, that's my car, in a well-lit garage in downtown Seattle. I was half a block away, on the set of a movie called A WINDOW, ironically enough.

It's never good when you get a phone call from an unknown number at 8pm on a Sunday. Sure enough, it was the police, telling me my car had been broken into. They found a suitcase and a duffel bag on the roof.

Huzzah.

As you might imagine, there's a lot of stuff in my backseat, so I'm still trying to figure out what's missing. There seems to be a little bit of cash missing and a pair of not-great jeans that were in the duffel bag. But the suitcase was recovered, which is great because it was a birthday present. And there was the box for my T2i, which has stuff in it (not a camera, but enough to give it weight). That was right next to the bags that were taken, but wasn't touched. Weird.

So now there's a big plastic bag on my window, held by gaff tape, and I've got to figure out how to get it replaced, and for cheap.



Anyone want to contribute to the "my insurance probably won't cover this" fund?







UPDATE:

Naturally, my insurance doesn't cover this. The cheapest quote I've found is $288 at SafeLite, but I'm not sure I can get that scheduled before I have to leave. At least do that and get my oil changed. So I'm not entirely sure what to do. How long do I want to roll with a black garbage bag on a window?

UPDATE #2:

With taxes and fees it comes to $327 (I know, right?). But the good news is that we've already raised...

$301



Wow!


Filmmaker Lucas McNelly is spending a year on the road, volunteering on indie film projects around the country, documenting the process and the exploring the idea of a mobile creative professional. You can see more from A Year Without Rent at the webpage. His feature-length debut is now available to rent on VOD. Follow him on Twitter: @lmcnelly.